I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Book review + thoughts
Published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers on 22 June, 2022
Genre: Children's books, Graphic novels, LGBTQ+, Non-fiction
# pages: 48
Celebrate and learn about the LGBTQIA+ community with this colourful book of Pride flags!
Featuring all the colours of the rainbow, this book teaches children about LGBTQIA+ identities through 17 different Pride flags. With fun facts, simple explanations and a short history of each flag accompanying beautiful illustrations, children will uncover the history of Pride and be introduced to different genders and sexual orientations. There's also a blank Pride flag design at the back of the book so that children can create their very own Pride flag!
With a Reading Guide that provides a detailed History of the Pride Flag and questions for further discussion, this inspiring book is a must-have for every child's bookshelf, library or classroom.
- This book is beautifully illustrated. I’m legit impressed, but also relieved because the illustrations can’t hold it back, as has been the case for many LGBTQ+ children’s books.
- I saw some flags even I didn’t know about, which was awesome. I also loved learning about the origins of each flag, as I mostly only knew about a few of them.
- I love the part at the end where kids can design their own pride flag! It’s literally the perfect exercise to emphasize the importance of having a flag that represents your identity and gives kids a taste of that while creating a safe place for it. 🌈✨
- One reviewer pointed out the lack of romantic flags and use of the word “lack” in the asexual explanation, and I agree with her points.
- Overall, I think this is a good start in regard of teaching children about the different pride flags.
If you loved this post, please share or buy me a pretzel: